Saturday, September 6, 2008

Breathing

Currently we're in the middle of the ten day festival of Ganesh Chaturthi. Ganesha seems to be everywhere right now, the roadside, the supermarket, fair grounds, the temples are open at night with colored lights on the ruff, the streets are packed with people moving in all directions. There is an interesting electric energy vibrating through the air and from my few moments in this madness I've come to know, Mysore is very alive right now. The really loud Indian music gives this whole experience something to remember because it doesn't seem to stop until 11 or 12pm. I'm about a quarter mile from the fair grounds and the music is so loud it sounds like it's coming from my room, not helpful when yoga practice starts at 4:45am.

Nevertheless, I've tried to look past a few nights of poor sleep and brought my attention away from the irritation of something I had no control over and simply found my breath. Whenever my attention drifted back to the wild never ending Indian song I slowly caught myself and my focus would come back to my breath and the meditation continued. I'm finding that my practice isn't just the asanas in the morning but by grounding myself in the present moment there is a peace that is very alive deep within. The breath is always there to take me to the source of this peace, no matter how loud the music gets during Ganesh Chuturthi.

Ommmm

No comments: