Friday, August 22, 2008

On the search

One of the many interesting things about India is that you can pee just about anywhere. I've been amazed by this freedom of relieving yourself in outdoor public locations since I got here and have started to feel a greater connection to nature through some of the things I've seen. Earlier this week I was out for a mid-day walk and found myself eagerly searching for a public restroom, the search continued for about ten minutes until I saw a man peeing on the side of an old building. Why should I be excluded from this basic human right? There was no rational explanation in my mind that could keep me from this piece of freedom, so I slowly walked up to the building and my search for a public restroom came to an end.

For the past year and a half I've had a growing interest in learning more about the Yoga Sutras, which is the spiritual and philosophical foundation for my study here in Mysore. Every morning after practice and breakfast I've been going to the Jayashree Ashram for a philosophy class that has been covering the sutras very deeply. The teacher has been a yogi for many years and it's easy to see and hear that he teaches from his own personal expeience and practice. In the evenings I'm back for chanting of the sutras lead by a sanskrit professor and one of the founders of the ashram Dr. Jayashree. Her voice and pronuciation of each sutra is absolutely perfect and has a great way of breaking down some of the more difficult words to chant. I'm also inspired by a new friend, Niko, who is my age and can chant most of the first chapter from memory.

On a more simple level, the weather has been great, the food has been tasty and the people are cool. I even got to play hand drums for a Kirtan last Friday night. I am truly in an atmosphere that completely supports full time yoga practice. Even eating chocolate cake seems to be apart of the practice.

Till next time.........Om.......

2 comments:

Wanderin Yogini said...

what about the women? do they relieve themselves in public too?

kyle, i am so happy that you are feeling in your element. practicing, studying, chanting, and even finding time for chocolate cake. nice.

keep on. peace, love and sutras.

Unknown said...

Wow, it sounds like you're in a very special place :) The pictures are so nice too! Thanks for sharing your journey with us, Kyle :)

You know, I've been telling people for years that it makes me feel more normal to pee outside. Sounds like my kinda place! lol :)

With Metta
~Crystal