Monday, August 4, 2008

Hello Mysore, Guruji, Sharat

I landed at the Bangalore airport at 4:30am Tuesday and was soon told that my luggage was lost, a very warm welcome to India. I was given a number to call, $30 on an ATM card, a smile and a wave goodbye, though I was a bit nervous it was exciting being alone in India not knowing what could happen next.

There was no way I could have found an easy way to the train station so I asked a random driver to take me the entire two hours into Mysore, which he seemed very excited to do. I latter found out that I paid double for what I should have, but my experience from Bangalore to Mysore was priceless. Driving through Bangalore was like the zoo and circus exploded into one big wild movement of life, everything is in the open with nothing to hide. Within the next two hours we drove pass street corners playing Indian music louder than most concerts I go to, almost hit a stray dog going about 60mph on the highway, weaved in and out of cows, hogs, lamb, people, road kill, stopped for a pee at a crash site where a man on a motorcycle fell off a bridge, stopped for coffee, stopped for smokes and finally stopped in a random area of Mysore where I roamed until a rickshaw driver brought me to the shala.

Everything started to take a new shape and feel, after many hours of travel I was finally at the Ashtanga Yoga Research Institute. It was such a surreal experience to actually stand where some many great yogis have been before, to see the practice room, ask Guruji and Sharat for lessons at registration, and to simply be at the home of ashtanga yoga.

I feel at home here in Mysore and know very deeply that many great things are starting to happen. There's a unique feeling in the air and in the shala that I cannot explain, which I feel is the essence of yoga.




More things to come, much love to all.

Peace and Om,
K

2 comments:

Ali said...

Wow,

I'm so incredibly proud of you.

I can't wait to hear/see more from your adventure.

LP said...

Kyle... You are such a beautiful soul, amazing and deep, and true and... pure. I feel this incredible emotion rush through me as I read your story, and I think to myself how incredibly amazing is this journey that Kyle has chosen to challenge himself with. And I think to myself, I hope I too have the courage to challange myself time and time again... you are an inspiration... selfless like the trees and you may not even know it... Thank you for sharing. peace and love, leah