Sunday, August 10, 2008

Practice, Practice, Practice

I finished my first week of practice here in Mysore and know very deeply that this is a place of tremendous growth, which is a good vibe for a Capricorn. Being surrounded by so many people that are truly passionate about yoga really helps cultivate a genuine commitment to this practice. The energy at the shala is amazing, everyone seems to be working together, breathing deeply, it's like riding a big wave for two hours.

My practice is at 8am Mon-Thurs, which will gradually get earlier the longer I'm here and 4:45am Friday and Sunday for led class. I have been truly challenged, nothing is ignored and I'm learning to take my time even when the last thing I want to do is take another breath in Kurmasana. Sharat has an eye on everyone and has been a big inspiration to me within this first week. Every morning he does his two hour asana practice before the first students arrive at 4:30am and then teaches till 10am and then teaches the locals in the afternoon and has a wife with two children. Yet every time I see him he's full of energy with a big smile.

I've also been reading a great book by Swami Vivekanada, Vedanta, Voice Of Freedom. The First paragraph of the introduction is what interested me to continue with the book and has been another source of inspiration this past week.

The river does not drink its own water, nor does the tree eat its own fruit. They live for others. Similarly, from time to time great souls are born whose lives are lived for the good of others. They bring peace and happiness to mankind. Having themselves crossed the ocean of Maya(relative existence) they help others cross without any selfish motive. It does not matter when and where a great soul is born or how long he lives; his life and message are a source of inspiration to all people in all ages.


Here are a few pictures from the week.




3 comments:

Wanderin Yogini said...

Don't know what kurmasana is, but if YOU don't feel like taking another breath in it, it must be difficult! =)

Great to hear about your experience, Kyle. Keep riding the wave...

Love, peace and breath

Stanley Hubbard A.P. said...

yo Kyle, enjoying your blogs, keep them coming. Your are inspiring us to practice, Peace, Stan

Siddie said...

kyle. you are a truly inspiring and beautiful soul.